MZ Message Styles

This plugin allows you to display messages above characters on the map like ‘speech bubbles’ to show which character is talking. Plugin commands allow changing the windowskin and arrow graphic of the message windows.
These message pop-ups will shift around to try and stay on the screen no matter where the character they are targeted on is standing.

​Additionally, you can change the windowskin of the pop or default messages during game, or just temporarily change them for individual messages.

VERSION 2.1 – RPG Maker MZ

Download my master demo to view examples of this plugin from:
Galv’s MZ Plugins Home

20 thoughts on “MZ Message Styles

1. Kinan91 says:

Been waiting for this one. Thanks, Galv!

2. A Fancy Pants Guest xD says:

I have very tall sprites, but flowers that are 48×48. I know in the plugin I can permanently change the offset of the text box to go above my character, but then the text box above any of my smaller events looks really funky. Is there a way to change it without going to the plugin settings? Perfectly fine if that’s not a feature!

• Fancy Pants Guest xD says:

Oops where are my manners! THANK YOU Galv for porting this over to MZ! ♥

I actually have that on my to-do list to be able to specify a different Y offset within the pop call for sprites that are different heights. Hopefully be done in the new few days or week.

Version 1.3 uploaded – now has the ability to change windowskins and also specify a different y offset for individual messages (for the super big boss characters!

• Fancy Pants Guest xD says:

Thank you so much for adding these features! I’m glad that what I mentioned was something you had already thought of. ♥

Updated to version 1.4 – added compatibility code for Galv’s Message Busts MZ plugin

5. rinarunine says:

Thank you so much! Simple and works beautifully!

Is there any chance to see sound effects added to the script someday? I feel like that’s the only thing missing, a “talking”/”typing” sound.

Other than that, works a charm and am happy to have it in my game. Makes a huge difference.

Updated to version 1.6 for compatibility with my Cam Control zoom functionality.

7. Chimaera says:

This plug-in is exactly what I needed! I am really thankful for this!

I wanted to ask though: How difficult would it be to allow the user to make more than one message box at once. (For instance, if two people are talking over each other, two message boxes would pop up simultaneously over their head.)
    I don’t know if it could be a system limitation but thought I would ask just in case. Thank you!

I don’t plan to do it with this plugin, but I will be porting one of my MZ plugins that can show multiple message boxes that disappear after a set time.

• Varelyx says:

I’m glad to hear that! Even though this plugin is already wonderful, it would be great if the player can move while the text is being displayed and disappears. I’ll be waiting for it!

Updated with a plugin order fix. Nothing too important.

9. Marcio says:

Hi Galv, thanks for porting over this script! :)
    Are you planing on making this compatible with Yanfly core message script?
    I receive a “Cannot set property ‘x’ of null” error with both scripts.

Sorry, I am unable to make my plugins compatible with VS plugins.

• marciotwo says:

I thought so, still thanks. :)

Sorry for the stupid question, but are you able to pinpoint me to line of code that is responsible for the speed in which text characters are drawn? Default Speed of MZ is way too fast for certain things. And I’m not talking about the scroll speed event. :)

That’s the only real thing I use from Yanfly’s message core.

Will you be porting other functionalities from MV like outline and transparent options to that script? :o)

I recommend asking for plugin assistance in a forum, I unfortunately don’t have any spare time and would have to search for where to change that.

I don’t have any current plans for upgrades to this plugin as I don’t get much support to work on them these days.

10. Ophiucus says:

Hi Galv. I have noticed a possible bug with this plugin since upgrading my corescript on RPG Maker MZ. It works fine with version 1.0.0 but with subsequent versions (e.g. 1.10 and 1.2.0) sometimes the characters on the right side of the message boxes are cut off.
    I have tried in a new project with no other plugins and the issue is replicated.