MV Quest Log

Another quest log plugin! Just to give you guys more options.
Create quests with objectives and display each as complete or failed as the quest goes on. Quest details are stored in a .txt file within your project.
Sort quests into categories that can be expanded/hidden by the player as desired.
Use script calls to check results of quests and objectives to potentially save on switches/variables.
Player can track a quest, making it appear in the quest log when no other quest is selected to quickly reference it during game.
Quest update notification can be done manually or automatically if using Galv’s Timed Message Popups (included in demo as example).

44 thoughts on “MV Quest Log

1. styx92 says:

Wuhuuu great thing!
    Would be nice if your tracked quest will be shown at the edge of the screen!

And maybe if a quest step is finished, to colour the font colour to green or red, if failed.

I might add an optional window to display quest on-screen in the future.
      When quests steps are finished or failed they display different icons next to them instead of changing the text colour. I’ll consider adding full colour change in future, too :)

• StyX says:

This would be awesome!
        Nobody have a good tracking function. This would make your questlog to the best.
        Only Gameus have an special editor for the quests, but this is only comfort :D

• KDM says:

Hey Galv,

Awesome script, let me just say that!

I was wondering, is there a way to change the description for the ‘crafting quests’ to something like ‘wanted quests’? I wanted to have quests that revolve around hunting certain monsters, and while I know that I can do this with side-quests I wanted to try and use the third quest tier for something else.

Thanks.

Yes, please look in the plugin settings… you can have any number of categories and change their name to anything you want.

2. DerekD says:

I’d love to see this too, the side-screen display thing.

3. Jonas De Ro says:

Great work on this one, I love it!

4. maniacogames says:

Hey Galvs!
    I have a request to make, how can I remove the default windows from Rpg Maker and raise a background image? The Image Is On My Own and Thanks For The Incredible Plugin :D

5. Steven Herod says:

YOU ARE SUPREME!! So glad you exist!! :D

6. okralord says:

Umm…how do you write a comma in the objective description or resolution text??

I didn’t think about that. I’ve updated to version 1.1 and added a plugin setting that allows you to change the separator character from comma to whatever you want to use in the .txt file.

7. Swishy says:

What’s the symbol for the quest log command in the menu?
    I’m trying to give it an icon. Thanks in advance!

I’m not exactly sure what you’re after. The function I added to the menu scene is commandQuestLog, the handler is ‘quest’ and the name is specified in the plugin settings.

8. Hi Galv, great plugin!

There is just one small problem. When I hightlight ‘Active’, ‘Completed’ or ‘Failed’, I can’t simply click on my quests that are shown in the content window. I actually need to click again on ‘Active’, ‘Complete’ or ‘Failed’ to be able to interact with the content.

Can you please add an ‘Highlight on Over’ feature (that is similar to the one available in the ‘Mouse System Ex’ plugin?

Thanks, keep up the great work!

That’s how default RPG Maker MV works. You need to use another plugin to make it work differently – like the mouse system plugin you mentioned.

• Yes, this is the one we are currently using.

In both scenarios (with or without the other plugin’s feature) it seems to confuse most of our playtesters. When it’s enabled, it highlights on over, and they think they can actually click on the quests shown in the content window (which doesn’t work as you need to click on ‘Actice’ ‘Completed’ or ‘Failed’ again).

When the feature is not enabled (the Default of RPG Maker), it’s even worst because the users tend to click on ‘Active’ ‘Completed’ or ‘Failed’ and then immediately click on one of the quests that appears in the content windows.

I don’t believe there is a good solution, unless you put the ‘Active’ ‘Completed’ and ‘Failed’ in a single window, and then make them expendable. But again, I don’t think this is an ideal solution neither.

But for now, I think we’ll just add a quick ‘click twice’ tutorial to let the users know how it works.

Thanks again for the awesome plugin!

Hmmm very good points. I actually don’t like using mouse for RPG’s so I guess I rarely tender my plugins toward them. I’ll think about adding a change to make this more intuitive for players when I get time.

9. Awesome, thanks for considering it!

10. Kendall Momon says:

Is there a way to make the objectives hidden until one is done

11. consi says:

I find your plugin great. But my quest text is slightly longer and the questbook does not show the text completely. Can it be helped?

Press the return key to go to a new line

• Luciss says:

I think consi meant the actual in-game menu for the quest log. When the amount of text surpasses the menu box, there is no way to scroll down and see the rest of what’s written. This is pretty inconvenient in many ways, so hopefully you can fix it.

Unless there was a way to do that and I’m just dumb. :P

Ohh I see. Nope, there is no scrolling in this plugin, sorry.

12. kitt says:

Good day! Cool plug-in, but I can not understand how to make it work in Russian. When changing the language in the txt file, instead of the text, only the question marks “??????”

13. simon guilbault says:

Hi, i really like this quest plugin! But i have some problem with my french langage in “Quests” file…. when i do an accute accent thas make nothing more them a square in game :( someone can solve my problem?

14. Joshua says:

Hey Galv,

Seems like you’re my goto once again for awesome scripts/plugins. Got a question for you though:

I am attempting to make a “Fortune Teller” who, for a fee, will give a hint about the current active quest. I am doing so using a conditional branch. I can’t do screenshots as I am using my phone and don’t know how. But I can give you the way it looks in text form. It reads:

?If:Script:Galv.QUEST.isTracked(1)
    ?Text:pic, Window, Bottom
    : :blah blah blah
    ?Set Movement Route:Player (Wait)
    ?
    :Else
    ?If:Script:Galv.QUEST.isTracked(2)
    ?Text:pic, Window, Bottom
    : :HooHahaha HooHahaha
    :Else
    ?Text:SF_Others(5), Window, Bottom
    : :I am sorry, I see no active quests. I shall
    : :not charge you since I can provide you no
    : :help.
    ?Set Movement Route:Player (Wait)
    : :?Transparent OFF
    : :?Move Lower Left
    : :?Through OFF
    ?
    :End
    ?
    :End

For some reason, it doesn’t look at #2, only lists the comment for the first one. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? (I’m using your default quests that came with the demo as a test)

Galv.QUEST.isTracked() returns the id of the quest being tracked. To use it in your context you would first use Control Variables and set a variable to script: Galv.QUEST.isTracked()

Then conditional branches after that you would check if that variable equals the id’s of quests.

15. Chris Dougherty says:

Hi, Sorry to bother you but do you know how this issues is happening and how i can solve it. is it an issue with the quest script or yanfly item core im a little confused??

SCRIPT CALL ERROR
    /C:/Users/hugh_/Documents/RPG%20MAKER/MV/Games/Projects/Arn%20Armour%20of%20the%20gods/js/plugins/YEP_ItemCore.js:2191 Galv.QUEST.activate(1);

/C:/Users/hugh_/Documents/RPG%20MAKER/MV/Games/Projects/Arn%20Armour%20of%20the%20gods/js/plugins/YEP_ItemCore.js:2192 TypeError: Cannot read property ‘1’ of undefined

16. Chris Dougherty says:

Thank
    you for the help

• Chris Dougherty says:

Addition: – I have found i only get the error when i try the script calls. When i don’t try and activate a quest there’s no issues haha, that’s frustrating. Anyways thank you again for and thanks for the contribution to the community your scripts/pluggins are great :)