MV Timed Message Popups

Display popup messages on the screen or over characters. These messages do not prevent player movement and last for a specified amount of time before closing.

Added: Ability to specify different windowskin for each message popup and ability to target actors that are following in the battle party.

51 thoughts on “MV Timed Message Popups

1. Yinyamina says:

You’re the best! You always come through with surprising and useful plugins :) I thought I would have to write my own lol

Haha, hope you find it useful – lemme know if any issues :D

• Yinyamina says:

Not sure if this is an issue or not, but If I activate an event with 2 in a row, they pop up at the same time. If I use a wait command in between, the player can’t move while the wait command is in progress. Is there currently a way to queue them up so that if one is already showing, it will wait for it to disappear before showing the next one?

Not at the moment – they activate the moment you call them. But I can see how being able to set a delay would be useful. Adding it to my to-do list for future update

• Yinyamina says:

Weird, it wouldn’t let me reply to your latest comment. But anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for adding it to your to-do list. I will be looking forward to it.

Yeah, I noticed that in wordpress it randomly won’t let you reply to a certain comment. I dunno why haha.

But updated to 1.1 – added delay setting (need to update all your message boxes to include it!) and also follower targeting

3. FM says:

So strange. I ran your demo, and copy pasted your example event code into an event in my game. The pop up text works in my game exactly like it does in your demo. But then, if I delete everything but the ” I’m trying!” show text code, I get a chat bubble above my character that is going haywire. It’s refreshing every frame with no text shown, and appears to vary in height. Do I have to have every event in my map designated? I can’t think of another variable to test to get this to work. Thanks Galv.

I’m not sure what you have done exactly, but I would love to have a look to find out what happened somehow. Did you make a mistake using a parallel process?
      If you can upload a project with what you did is the only way I can think to help

EDIT: Actually I think you might just be using the parallel process to repetitively open that same message over and over again

Updated to 1.3 – can now change windowskin for each popup, too

Updated to 1.4 – ‘Show Text’ window position now changes where message displays over characters. Faces can now be used. Also added a couple of text options when using custom windowskins

6. allen says:

hi galv. i love this plugin, though i actually havent tried using this. however i do have an idea where i can use this. so heres my question. can this plugin be used “in-battle?” for example, when i choose attack, a message will popup during the sequence. if i cast magic, a message will popup on the character like he/she is chanting the spell before casting it, and if they get attacked, the characters can have a different pop up message like “ouch” or something like that.. it would be awesome to have random dialogue during battle. so can i use this for my idea?

Currently this doesn’t work in battle, but that would be a good idea. I’m adding that to my to-do list to look into it when I can one day.

7. TT55 says:

HI Galv. I am having a problem with that. It seems that message box appears always below character or events. And it seems that plugin doesn’t react on “-” in the pluging setting. It moves message box only below. What that could be?

I dont know what you mean by ‘doesn’t react on “-” in the plugin setting’.

But in the “Show Text” event command, there is the option to display on bottom, middle or top.

8. Dreamsavior says:

This is very use full script. Thank you, Galv.
    But, how do we call timed message popups via script call. Because creating popup from $gameMessage.add() seems not working.

9. wil7loms says:

Hello galv, I love the plugin!! I recently created a custom window skin to use with it but when it shows it has the gradient overlay. how do i get rid of that?
    Here is what it looks like http://i.imgur.com/QtMISsp.png
    and here is the window image http://i.imgur.com/vANrJzw.png

This plugin doesn’t change the default working of the windowskin apart from background opacity.

I recommend looking up guides on how to make windowskins

10. Ubernoob87Games says:

Hey Galv, love the plugin. However, it seems that it lacks compatibility with a couple of other plugins I am running, specifically your Action Indicators plugin as well as Yanfly’s Region Events plugin.

Ideally, I want the player to enter a certain region, a message display where they are about to warp to appearing above an event and disappears in about a second. Also, quest related icons float above certain characters.

I’m not sure what you mean by “lacks compatibility”. Both my plugins are working in my demo project. Please give a description of the issue.

Have you tried changing the order the plugins appear in the list?

11. Kamina Zero says:

Sorry for my bad english:
    My question is , will support the YEP Message Engine Core later?
    Only for curiosity.
    I love this plugin.
    Good work!!

12. Jamzkie Ria says:

hi galv, is there a way to stop the parallel process for event popup messages when the players “triggers an action” to the event?

13. vectorinox says:

Thanks for the awesome plugin galv!
    Just asking, do you plan on adding script call to clear all message popups on the screen? (like when you open the menus)

Updated to version 1.7 – removes the message popups boxes when opening menu so they don’t appear in the background behind it. Also closes them when battle starts.

15. FireWolf says:

Could we use Variables to specify an ID and especially Screen Coordinates?
    With that, the plugin could maybe work with any zoom plugin?

16. firewolf25 says:

Actually, I wanted to do that:
    Show Text Box while Zoom
    \V[1] and \V[2] are an Event’s x & y Screen Coordinates saved in a parallel event.
    But it doesn’t work, \V[nb] isn’t considered as a number.

Is there a way to make it works, not in battle?

17. gen says:

Good day galv , thank you for sharing your plugin, however we need some help for our project we user your plugin time message popup and mv quest log, but still we can’t figure it out. we still got error when we trying to use it. hope you can help us, thank you in advance, more power. you can imail me here :genxskie08@gmail.com:

18. Comone says:

Is there an easy way to check to see if all objectives are done and then autocomplete the parent quest? I think I may be missing something simple here.

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are talking about my quest log plugin. Don’t forget about switches and variables… you can use those :)

• Comone says:

Woops! You’re right. I thought I was on that page, it led me here and I forgot to track backward. Thanks, I’ll manually set a variable for all three objectives and then check on each for if they are done. I was wondering if there was a way to query the status of the objective, but it doesn’t seem like it.

Look in the help documentation right down the bottom for that :)

• Comone says:

Oh nice! Thanks for all the help (won’t let me comment on your second comment!

19. Jace says:

Hey Galv! Great work! This is exactly what I need.

Do you know if it’s possible to change the font inside the timed message pop ups like you can with Galv’s Message styles?

It’s just that it’s created a bit of inconsistency with my dialogue font is all.

20. Is there a way to show both messages at the same time preventing player movement with this plugin? I know perhaps it`s not a feature that you want to include but I can`t find any plugin to do that… yours is the more “close” to what I`m looking for.

Thank you very much in advance!

21. Luth says:

Hi Galv ! Tell me, is it possible to use an arrow that isn’t an arrow from the windowskin, just like in your ballon speech plugin ? (so a specific image in img/system)
    They say devil hides in details :D

Thanks !