MV Visual Novel Choices

Changes the “Show Choices” event command to display like visual novel style choices.
Uses a graphic containing multiple buttons that can be changed for each individual choice.

60 thoughts on “MV Visual Novel Choices

1. How do I make a smaller choices button? Like 500px instead of 700px? I can’t seem to fit them properly…

2. NICE
    i was waiting this!

Updated to 1.3, changed for compatibility with menu cursor plugins

Updated to not remove vnbuttons image when using the ‘exclude unused images’ when deploying.

5. AT Anthony says:

Just wanted to say that your plugins are awesome!! BTW, would it be possible to have a countdown bar that gives the users a deadline to make a choice just below or above the visual novel choices? If the bar depletes, it automatically picks a default choice (which is passed as a parameter)

Hime has already written a plugin that does something like that:

Not sure if compatible or not but worth checking out

• AT Anthony says:

Oh yes, you’re right. The only thing is it doesn’t show a timer gauge that tells the user how much time left.

Also the bar/gauge would be perfect right under or above your visual novel choices!! ( Fungus for Unity have done it that way and it works awesome)

Anyhow just a thought, would be awesome if you could work that in as part of your visual novel choice plugin :)

Thanks for the awesome plugins!!

I’ll add it to my to-do list :)

• AT Anthony says:

Thanks Galv :)

• AT Anthony says:

Hi Galv, I think i’ve been able to do it, and it appears to be working fine (barring relative placement and width of the gauge which I can’t seem to get working). Can I have your email id so I can send you the updated script for you to have a look (or send a mail to me)? Sorry to be a bother, but altho I’m a dev, this is my first time with the RPGMaker MV JS plugin framework, so I’m sure I’m not following best practices, and I need a little help with only that one point above!

7. logan7007 says:

Is there a way to put those choises behind Busts using this puling combined with “MV Message Busts”?

Ahh, I see. I didn’t think of that – it’s the way MV draws windows and how I’ve coded it. I’ll add this to my to-do list but not sure when I will get to it.

9. Galvinator4 says:

I’m using Yanfly Message and when I put bold/italics in the choice boxes with \fb/\fi, it’s screwing with the formatting, sadly. Could you please provide a compatibility fix for this, if you have the time?

Updated to version 1.5 – fixed a pre-cache issue in MV update 1.3

11. vynada says:

I keep getting this error:

TypeError: Cannot read property ‘0’ of undefined
    at Window_ChoiceList.drawButton /js/plugins/GALV_VisualNovelChoices.js:167:37
    at Window_ChoiceList.drawItem /js/plugins/GALV_VisualNovelChoices.js:124:8

12. cdaz says:

It’s might be late to ask but…
    Is there any way to change position of choice of your plugin?

RMMV let us move it to left and right but can’t move it up and down.

It must be nice if I can put it to a conner or somethig like that.
    (I try to use Soul’s Choice Position Manager plugin but look like it not work with yours )

13. GreyAlice says:

Umm… I’m not sure what’s going on, but when I click the download link for the plugin it immediately crashes my browser on both Mozilla and Chrome. Has anyone else had this problem before?

14. Preston says:

Hey, Noticed when trying to use this with yanfly’s msg extender plug-in I get a ‘can not read property 0 of undefined error’, But only when starting a new game. My game starts with an auto ran event asking if you would like to skip the beginning cut scene. This is the only time I’ve run into the error and only if i have the msg extension plug-in turned on. When I tested this out on my trigger tester room the visual bars wouldn’t show up until the second time I talked to the npc. So it seems there is some compatibility issues with yanflys message core and msg extender. I thought you’d like to know just in case you wanted to take a deeper look into it. these 2 plug-ins are the only ones I have that alter the chat box (did have your bust plug-in but had to disable it for other reasons)

Make sure you have the latest version and this plugin is under Yanfly’s plugins. The issue you describe with the bars not showing up did happen in an older version of the plugin so that might be the cause.

15. edilsonsoares01 says:

How do I add more options?
    For example, in the image has 4 colors, blue, green, yellow and red, how could you add the image and put new colors?

16. ryosonic says:

Thanks for your plugin!I don’t know whether you want to make the plugin this style,but when I change the font size of message style,the font size of default message window also changes.I helped to fix the issue.
    replace (this.contents.fontSize = Galv.Mstyle.fontSize;) to this
    (if (Galv.Mstyle.target) this.contents.fontSize = Galv.Mstyle.fontSize;)
    Thank you for your plugin again!

17. skyforger007 says:

Is there a way to position the choices always at a certain position while using your message styles plugin with this one?

18. BBHS says:

1.5.0 Update, An output error occurs.

19. Yestola says:

Hello.
    This work is in use.
    But it does not match ‘MOG-Char Particles’.
    I do not know how.
    Help. T.T

20. Yestola says:

you e-mail address please…

21. Ryu says:

The choice buttons sometimes disappear. Usually at the first event of a scene the buttons do not appear. You only see scheduled options of choice.

22. Ryu says:

I have the plugin version in this page and the 1.5 rpg maker mv

It sounds like you haven’t upgraded your project files to 1.5 files. Just updating MV doesn’t update your project.

• Ryu says:

How do you update the project? Comuque I started the project with version 1.5. My project was born two weeks ago.

The issue you are describing is a caching issue. The plugin pre-caches the visual novel button graphic in order for it to draw correctly every time. If it’s not pre-cached then the image won’t draw the buttons the first time but will cache it then so it will draw next time.

If you are experiencing this caching issue, I can think of the following reasons:
    1. You don’t have latest version of the plugin and your project is not the latest MV files. (My plugins are updated to work correctly only with latest version of MV files).
    2. Another plugin is conflicting and causing the caching not to work.

If your project does have the latest files (which it should if you created a NEW project when you had MV 1.5) then do a test and disable other plugins in your project.

The official forum post with update 1.5 has information on updating older project files: