MZ Layer Graphics

This plugin allows you to use graphics as layers on the map. The layers can appear at different height levels (below the map, below characters, above everything, etc.) and can move in different ways. This was designed to be used for layer mapping (aka parallax mapping) as well as fogs and other effects.

In addition to map layers, layers can also be created in battles, allowing fogs and other effects.

VERSION 1.2 – RPG Maker MZ

Download my master demo to view examples of this plugin from:
Galv’s MZ Plugins Home

53 thoughts on “MZ Layer Graphics

1. rick says:

Hello Galv, I know this probably won’t mean much but I want you to know that I truly appreciate what you have done for the community. some of the plugins you have given us are the best by far for my game purpose. Thank you kindly. you are appreciated.

2. Tyruswoo says:

Very cool! I’m hoping lots of creators will make cool parallax mapping with this!

3. kyle says:

yey! looking forward to the other ones. great work Galv

4. Amyrakunejo says:

Sounds pretty sweet, on top of having multiple map layers.

5. camerontucker says:

Awesome, thank you :-) However when I include the note in the map properties everything works perfectly. But when I do it as an plugin command in an event it doesn’t. Tried every possible way now, also had a look into your demo, but it’s simply not working. I’m using the same as the note in the map properties. Do you have any ideas what is wrong?

Does it not work in the demo? Look at the commands in the demo. Are you making sure to refresh the layers if you create them inside an event on the current map?

6. Shellwin Dallwin says:

Woohoo, Galv is making plugins for MZ, some of my most used plugins came from you. Hopefully you port shards to MZ ;)

7. I was waiting for your plugin! Thank you!
    However, I was unable to switch layers during battle.
    It works if you set it on the map and then start the battle.
    But I want to switch during Battle.

8. BustLove says:

Thank you a lot Galv!
    I hope your awesome MV bust menu plugin will be ported soon to MZ!

9. John says:

Love your work but having a weird issue. I followed you demo, which helped a ton getting my static layer to stick, only one problem. When I walk past about half way down my map(its 27×17 sized) the layer disappears. When I go back up, it comes back. I used Z layer 0 like your demo. When I set it to different Z layers it stays on but it causes me to walk behind parts of the layer. Does it matter what layers I use building my map in MZ? I noticed in your demo you have the walking area at layer 1, back round trees on a new layer and foreground trees on another layer. Is that maybe the issue? Thanks and sorry for the wall of text lol. Also I have my game set to display 1280×720 for widescreen so its not a full 48×48 grid if that matters.

10. breaknox says:

hey, great pugin and thanks for your work. I have a question: is it possible to apply a graphic only to a specific layer, so it wont show below or above, but only for that defined layer?

11. Jenex says:

I think that there is a bug in this layer plugin system whenever
    you make a call from the common events. If you once display a static layer and then clear it through a common event call, it won’t be an issue but if you recall the save common event once again, it fails to show the same static layer that was shown previously.
    This issue only occurs while using a common event though but not in manual plugin command call.
    I tried to create a light system binding the common events in an item and your plugin, but the same problem is persistent. I tried to fix that through different methods of the common event call but failed.
    Hope you will take that bug into consideration. Thank You for all these amazing plugins.

There shouldn’t be an issue with using common event to call and create layers – it might be how and when you are calling them. Just make sure if you are creating a layer on the same map, you need to refresh the layers.

I would create all the layers you need and leave the ones not active invisible and just change their opacity when needed.

• Jenex says:

I changed the opacity of the layer as you suggested. Worked like a charm for me. Thanks once again for the response.

12. raven says:

thanks for the plugin

13. Christopher Crooks says:

The plugin works like a charm for maps I am currently designing. I am getting a [“Type Error” Cannot Read Property of Undefined.”] for those maps in my project I have not done yet.

Are you creating layers on maps you haven’t created yet?

• Christopher Crooks says:

The Save Game was done prior to installing the plug-in. When the plug-in is enabled, the Save Game Continue file with error out when selected. New game runs fine and I can Save and reload any Save AFTER the plug-in was installed and enabled. I concluded if you are running the game and saving you will be ok until you download and install/enable future plug-ins.

You are correct – a lot of plugins require you to start a new game after installing them.

14. Bludiamonds says:

I installed the plugin and when I start a new game I get a error stating TypeError cannot read property ‘7’ of undefined. What could cause this? Thanks!

If you installed the plugin and then loaded a save file that was made before installing the plugin might cause that.

• Bludiamonds says:

Hi Galv, I did try a new game but now I get the TypeError cannot read property ‘2’ of undefined. I closed the program and restarted it along with a new game and I still get the error. Could other plugins be causing this?

I wouldn’t think that was an error caused by another plugin unless it was an issue with coding – or perhaps a plugin that skips the default new game step. It sounds like an error with script call or the plugin not activated?
        I cannot help everyone error trap their projects but here’s a list of things to try:

15. Yuki says:

How does your plugin works with collision? I mean… I don’t want a layer lower or above, I want my chara stop where the image is (A wall for example). Sorry my noobness

This doesn’t do anything with collision. It’s a visual plugin.

• Yuki says:

ok and then if I use layer 0, how can I make my character not going through SOME things in that layer? That’s the question.

By using the default collision of RPG Maker. I recommend asking in a forum for advice on parallax/layer mapping if that’s what you are trying to do. This plugin only displays images, doesn’t do anything with collision.

16. Soeufans says:

Hello!

Nice pluguin! but…

Can you add a “move layer” or something like that?

I work with parrallax mapping, and for example, in 2k3, i can use Pictures to do parallax mapping, and I can move them wherever i want, and i miss doing something like that in this pluguin, to move the layer in the coordinates i want or by variable, is that posible??

Thanks, and keep the good job!! :)

17. Cathy says:

Hello,
    Trying you plugin gave me an idea of a stealth situation like we could see in the game “commando” in which you had to avoid being seen by soldiers.

Do you think it would be possible to interact with the layers shape attached to a moving event ?

This plugin only does layer graphics. To make it appear it is interacting, you’d need to do other eventing – I recommend asking in a forum for that.

• Cathy says:

Searching on youtube for a lead, I found this video of someone using your plugin in an interactive way.

If you’re curious look at 4:48 on the video.

I can’t try to adapt his idea since the plugin he uses is for MV and I only own MZ.

The interactive part is not this plugin. That’s a different plugin. This plugin only displays graphics.

18. BrentBAM says:

Hey Galv! I was wondering. With your layers plugin is it possible to use it for a sunbeam effect? I have a sunbeam layer and I want it to move with the camera so that it looks like sun rays. Do you think that’s possible?
    Thank you.

Yes, it’s possible. You will need to determine what size graphic you need and what settings are best for your map, though.

• BrentBAM says:

Hey Galv. thanks for responding. Great. What setting do you think I would use to make the sunbeam layer stay within the camera so it doesn’t go off screen?

You will need to determine the settings yourself. Trial and error. But changing the X move and Y move to your tile size (48 by default) would make the layer move as though it was stuck to the screen.

19. Lranger says:

Hi Galv, sorry to bother you but I’m having an issue with static layers. The normal layers are working properly. However, I tried everything but the static layers just won’t show.
    I’ve even tried copying the whole map of your master demo into my game and copied the related layers, but it still won’t show.
    Could it be because I’m using rpg maker mz 1.1.1 and it’s outdated for your plugin?
    I would really appreciate your kind help.

• lranger says:

Oh sorry, It was just me mis-assigning the map IDs. Sorry for the fuss.

• lranger says:

For my situation I found out that “Map ID = 0” does not work for static layers, it does not refer to current layer. Not sure if this is just me or if there’s a problem.

20. Mike in 2D says:

Amazing plugin, love all your work. Thank you for providing the demo as well, it’s been really helpful in configuring. You’re a community legend!