MV Screen Buttons

Add buttons to the screen on specified or all maps that can be set to emulate button presses, run script code or run a common event (press and hold or triggered). Create or remove any number of buttons during the game.
Includes a setting to disable map mouse-click movement if you wish to use buttons for arrow keys (example in demo).
Can enable/disable buttons during game or have buttons disappear or stay during events such as ‘Show Text’ dialogue.

Keyboard can not control these buttons, they are for mouse or touch activation only.

31 thoughts on “MV Screen Buttons

1. foure says:

Great! Thanks.
    Can you add button name feature? I mean, when player hover the sprite button – it show name above or below the button.

Sorry, that’s not a feature I will add to this plugin

• foure says:

Sad, i really can’t understand why all authors of this kind of plugins don’t add this feature, it so obvious feature when game has mouse control. Even some Ace mouse script has it, but not MV with native mouse system… this kinda weird.

The functionality you request is a fine idea but 1) it wouldn’t work well for touch devices which is what the plugin was designed for and 2) I do not have the time or support to do every single person’s demands.

• foure says:

I can’t see problem with touch devices, there is a some ways to do it properly for touch and mouse.
      Anyway thanks again, really sad to hear you don’t want to improve this plugin or can’t because of time.
      Then, can i modify your plugins? I don’t see any info about modifications. So i presume it’s allowed? I’m too lazy to do whole plugin by myself even if i can, but mod someones code is more easy for me.

3. Luis says:

Hey Galv, awesome plugin. It’s exactly what I need for my mobile game.
    First I would like to ask if you plan on multi touch support?
    And also, I’m having a problem with it, sometimes the key press gets stuck on the arrow. Like if the player is moving up it stucks to the Up position and it won’t move. Sometimes it comes back but sometimes it won’t. Also the red button doesn’t seem to open the menu, only the double screen touch opens it. But I guess this is as expected.

The buttons are examples. If you want the red button to open the menu, you need to make it open the menu :)

I have no plans for multi touch support.

As for the sticky buttons, can you replicate it and tell me how you did it? Were you using a touch screen or mouse?

• Luis says:

Sorry for the delay man, well, I tried finding a pattern on it so it goes more or less like this (I am using a moile touch screen).

Since there is no multitouch, if I walk and press the green button to talk to a npc, and it goes to the menu, somtimes the move gets locked and even on the menu it gets crazy.
        Another way to replicate it, is if we are touching it for too long
        in one direction and it gets stuck.
        It happens on all maps so far I tested.

What do you mean “even on the menu it gets crazy” ? I think you mean the movement remains even on menu. I’ll try to work out the issue, thanks for reporting.

I was able to replicate the issue and updated to version 1.1. Please see if it fixes the issue

• Luis says:

Apparently it’s totally good now! Thanks for the awesome update and I will keep using it… Any bugs I find I will report. Anyway, is it possible to add something like, double click an arrow and the player will run? And normal touch it will make him walk.

No double clicking is currently possible, sorry

• Luis says:

Oh in fact it just happened again. How I reproduced it, I was pressing the left arrow and I touched the Up arrow with it altogether. It was by mistake really, I pressed them both together, but it was on a motion like if I was sliding my fingers from the left arrow to the Up one. And it got stuck on walking left.

Hope you get more or less my “motion gesture”, I accidentally slid the finger and touched them both.

Oh hmm okay thanks, going to try to reproduce

Updated to version 1.2 to fix a bug I created when fixing the last haha… hopefully that’s all of them

• Luis says:

Thank you Galv! I’ve been testing it and now it’s flawless. Any chance of implementing something like double tap a direction to run? Since there is no multi-touch, that could be a nice feature.
      Another thing could be, add an option for the user to choose whether he wants mouse click movement, or the on screen buttons. If enabled the mouse click, the buttons would disappear and if disabled the buttons would appear.

Anyway! Awesome, thank you for the update.

Will think about those changes, though this plugin wasn’t designed specifically for screen movement controls. It is just able to do so with screen buttons :)

I’ll look into this later when I have more time

• Luis says:

Oh but it ended up being the best touch controls for MV! Hahaha

OK man, if you ever have the time, those would be nice features! Cheers

5. Matic says:

Hi Galv,

Excellent plugin, working mostly fine. Thanks for making it!

Small bug report. When the option ‘Disable Mouse Move’ is set to false and you define your buttons not starting with 0 id (for example just create one button with id 1) you will get a “Cannot read property ‘x’ of undefined” most likely originating at line 149.

Once again, thank you and good luck!

Regards
    Matic

6. bingbing says:

Good material thank you. However, if you add a plugin and load an existing save file, an error will occur.

7. Dat Tran says:

it’s an error on android devices

That is not enough information for me to do anything… Please let me know what the error is, when it happens and any other info you can provide so I can help.

8. narome2b says:

Hello Galv !

It is possible to add a function that allows to show the Cancel Button in the Equip or Items Menu ? Because with a phone, it’s not really intuitve to double tap on the screen to cancel in a menu.

Masked almost did it with his OnlyMap function, but the button appears in the title too ^^

The link of his plugin : https://github.com/MaskedRpg/JS/blob/master/mv/MBS_MobileDirPad.js

Thanks for your titan job :)

9. jhyatt1983 says:

Hey Galv,
    First i wanna say thanks for the amazing plugins and i hope you keep em coming :)
    Secondly i wanna ask if it would be ok if i made a tut video showing how this plugin (Screen Buttons) could/can be used to make a touch enabled image based menu ? I made one on how to do it with events, but i couldnt figure out how to do the touch/mouse controls, then i found your script it does work quite well, but i wanted to ask if it was ok before i made the video.