MV Character Frames + CF Step SE

Enables charactersets to use more than the standard 3 frames by adding text to the filenames. These frames will show in
1-2-3-4-5-6-1-2-3-4-5-6 order, instead of the standard 1-2-3-2-1 order.

A separate plugin ‘CF Step SE’ enables you to set stepping sound effects that will
play for specified frames on certain terrains. This plugin requires the Character Frames plugin.

RPG Maker MV
Download Character Frames Plugin v.1.2 file
Download CF Step SE Plugin v.1.1 file
Download Demo (Includes both)

MIX DEMO
Additionally a demo containing 4 plugins: ‘Diagonal Movement’, ‘Character Frames’, ‘CF Step SE’, ‘Character Animations’ all working together can be found here:
Download Mix Demo

51 thoughts on “MV Character Frames + CF Step SE

1. JC Malapit says:

..great plugin! this, along with your diagonal plugin and something like an “automatic sprite scale according to Y coordinates” plugin and we can have a pseudo-3d game! :)
    ..btw, hoping to have this same effect (more character frames) to battle sprites! :)

2. alopexdog says:

Ahh this is wonderful. I had been looking for something like this in VXace, I think I’ll be switching over entirely to MV now as it seems you can do a lot more with JS than you can with Ruby! Thank you for making this!

3. Oni says:

Hello!
    Great job ! you creat this just when i shearch!
    with animation charas is so beautifull!
    May be when you have time you can complete this great work
    with an other script who reduce charas when a go a bottom and growing if if come down. (lock x camera)!
    if u do this script it’s will be fantastic for full custom mapping i think!

ps: Sorry for my english, i m french!

BRAVO For all your work for MV and ACE

Thanks for the nice words. I am unsure what you mean – do you mean the sprite gets smaller when moving to the top and larger when going to the bottom?

• Oni says:

Yes that’s it.
        will be great to turn it on some map . but I do not know if it is feasible but if it was the I will use it .

Thank you for answered so quickly.

your work is great keep it up .

I have a big to-do list so I wont be able to do that any time soon, but it sounds like an interesting idea I’d like to do one day

4. Zach says:

Hey Galv! Been a huge fan of yours since you started scripting for Ace (You and Yanfly are my heroes). Of course I have to have this script, I was wondering if you plan on making, or know someone who has made, a visible equipment script that is compatible with this? I am attempting to make a huge script resource for this using layering and Gimp, with (soon to be completed) half kaiser sprites with diagonal idle, dash, run.

That sounds awesome – unfortunately I haven’t looked at much of what others have been doing (so many javascript coders out there making plugins :D) If you don’t find one compatible, I might write my own one day

5. Minnix95 says:

Nice :) Do you have also a plugin which allows us to have more than 3 frames (like 20-30 frames) for complex Idle animations for sideview battlers? Would be soooo awesome!

6. baxter says:

Galv, Please help!!! i cannot for the life of me get my sprite sheet for my main character to work with your three plugins, its 12 frames of animation wide and 8 directions tall (directions are in same order as per your arrow template) the sprite is bigger than standard size. i name it correctly but it always displays as a double sprite (one on top of another) and when i move the order is also screwed up. ive tried your plugins, extramovementframes and the victor engine stuff, always the same result. if the sprite sheet is 12 wide by 4 deep (just up.down,left,right) it works just fine. ive been at this 15 hours straight :(

It sounds like you have set up your character file wrong. Using $ in the filename will make RPGmaker see the charactersheet as a single character. Without $ in the filename, it will see the charactersheet as 8 characters (which is what you need). Use my demo as an example.

If I can see your charactersheet and the filename, I might be able to help further.

7. baxter says:

ive tried the file name several ways,
    $sprite%(12).png
    sprite%(12).png
    !$sprite%(12).png
    !sprite%(12).png
    sprite.png

non of them fixed the problem, any thoughts?

8. baxter says:

Ok i fixed the sprite sheet. didnt realise it had to be a whole 8 character sheet. One other problem I have now encountered, I cannot use your plugin Diagonal Movements with the quasi movement plugin. Its an issue with the diagonals, when i depress the keys to move diagonally the player moves super fast across the screen, everything else seems ok. is it possible to have a plugin that forces the sprite sheet (to place after quasi movement) but without the extra diagonal movement command that is causing the conflict?

Unfortunately I don’t have time to make compatibility with Quasi movement plugin. The plugins were made for the default movement.

9. baxter says:

Can you send me an email with a price and time scale to make the plugin compatible? Don’t expect you to work for free. Thanks

I appreciate that. Not sure when I’d be able to have a look as I’ve got plans for all next month. I will get back to you when I have some time free up.

In the meantime, I wonder if you ask Quasi to make the diaonal charset functionality into his plugin.

10. Wiskers says:

Forgive me if you have already answered this, but, how many frames can this accommodate, and does this plug-in work with nonstandard size sprites?

As many frames as required and yes, any size sprite. Just make sure to set your spritesheet up like the default charsets but instead of 3 frames per character, increase it to as many frames as you are using.

11. John says:

Hi Galv, First of all I want to let you know that your plugins are awesome and they were the reason I decided to buy rpg maker MV. I made a custom sprite based on your demo(approximately 97px high x 125px wide) everything works and looks beautiful, but for some strange reason when i set up the event “set movement route>change image…” the player disappears for 1 frame before changing to the other sprite sheet. It seems to be doing it to the bigger sprites. I wanted to use this for example when the player climbs a ladder and the sprite changes to a different animation. Any guess to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks again Galv!

12. D.U. says:

Hi Galv, I can’t express how much I love your plugins, they open the door to so many new possibilities and new ideas!

Now that I am familiar with this Plugin, I’ve been trying to find a way to modify the speed of animation of individual characters. Is that even possible?

In RPG Maker XP, Shaz made me a Script that allowed me to change the animation speed of a character by simply calling the script ”@anim_speed = x” in the Set Move Route command, Really handy!

Now, for MV, I’ve found a way to modify the speed of ALL characters by changing the variable 43 and 13 in this section of the plugin below ”rpg_objects.js” ->

Game_CharacterBase.prototype.updateAnimation = function() {this.updateAnimationCount();if (this._animationCount >= this.animationWait()) {this.updatePattern();this._animationCount = 43;}};Game_CharacterBase.prototype.animationWait = function() {return (9 – this.realMoveSpeed()) * 13;};

Alas, what I’m really looking for is to modify the animation speed at which an INDIVIDUAL character move.

Would you have an idea how?

Sorry, I don’t have time for modification requests unfortunately.

• Logan says:

hey Galv, i was wondering if i give credit, may i use your original sprite or would you like me to modify it? and thank you for this wonderful plugin!!

The black and white extremely poor quality sprite? That was just an example… I intentionally made it shoddy quality so nobody would use it.

13. Brandon Eberhart says:

Hey, thanks dude, you rock-
    My question is why is the “test” sprite sheet in the demo larger than 48×48 per frame. Can’t figure it out-

14. Brandon Eberhart says:

The offset of the demo- the bottom of the player sprite doesn’t match up to NPCs. The player sprite is also bigger.

*Sorry if this is a dupe, my first comment, didn’t see it appear after I typed it.

15. Brandon Eberhart says:

Tried adding a “!” at the beginning of the ‘test’ sprite sheet but then it just won’t load when I try to run it.

You changed the filename but not references to the file itself.

• Brandon Eberhart says:

If you mean I didn’t select the renamed sprite in the database, I did. Stil won’t load. As soon as I remove the “!” it loads fine. In my own game I have several sprites with the “!” and they load fine. When I drop them into the demo they won’t load. Odd.

Also, turned the plugin on/off and it doesn’t matter.

Gonna go way back to try and so,ve this another way. Thanks for your help, though.

16. Hey, thanks so much for the plugin, and for the hard work, Galv. It works, after having had some problems with the double-sprite issue, then after fixing that, I couldn’t get the animation going. Then, as you said in the plugin description, ordered this plugin above the diagonal plugin. Now it works. C:

17. Matt says:

Loving the plugin, but I have a request! How difficult would it be to enable this for events? Walking around with 8 frames looks great, but kinda diminishes when every NPC around you uses the standard 3 frames. I’d be willing to commission something like that!

18. Anonamix says:

Thanks for all of the awesome work! I am trying to get my NPCs to show the idle frames.. Any tips would be great. Thanks again!

character animations don’t work on events, just the player party

• AA says:

I just tested and it seems that character animations actually works for events, but not for idle status.

Because in the charset we need to have four animations: idle, walk, run and ?!? animations, for events to walk using multiframes we need to replace the first idle set with the walk charset.

But regarding what Anonamix said, about idle animations, those doesnt seems to work.

Is it possible to make events to use same charset (idle/walk/run/?).

Thanks!

No, sorry – they don’t work for events.

Updated CF Step SE to version 1.1 properly – fixed an issue that might cause steps to stop temporarily.

20. I had an idea.
    How difficult would it be to set the Frame Speed modifer up differently for each character by way of the Note box per character?
    The basic idea is that.. a shorter character for instance would have a faster frame speed than a taller one… or that’s one effect.
    Or like, if someone is VERY tall, and they would animate slower cause they take fewer steps to move at the same speed.